Please answer the discussion questions in the comments section.
Mauro Prosperi told the BBC about his 10-day struggle for life while he was lost in the Sahara Desert.
It’s called “How I drank urine and bat blood to survive”.
Read the story here:
1. For Mauro, what was a big difference between extreme marathons and pentathlon?
2. Describe the composition of Mauro’s family at the time he entered the race.
3. How many people entered the race in 1994?
4. Why did Mauro keep moving during the sandstorm?
5. What was the first important survival action that Mauro took?
6. How did Mauro cook his rations?
7. How did he try to get the attention of the helicopter and airplane pilots?
8. Why did he decide to attempt suicide?
9. After he left the marabout, what did he do to survive?
10. Who was the first person to see Mauro after he had gotten lost?
11. Why were the police suspicious of Mauro?
12. How long did it take Mauro to recover?
1. Have you ever entered an extreme race? Would you be interested in challenging yourself, even if you might die?
2. Mauro says that his “inner caveman emerged”. Do you think we all have a superhuman inside us that comes out in times of danger?
3. What do you think about Mauro’s decision to kill himself? Did he have a justifiable reason?
Created and presented by Michael Henshaw